Professor Hashim Ahmed is an internationally renowned expert in prostate cancer. He is at the forefront of diagnosing and treating men with minimally invasive therapies that carry few side-effects.
Professor Hashim Ahmed is an award-winning clinician and researcher having being recognised with prestigious awards from the British Medical Journal, Health Services Journal and the UK National Institute of Health Research. He has also been Visiting Professor at UCLA in California, Weill Cornell in New York City and Tokyo Medical School.
Driven by a strong desire to reduce the harms of tests and treatments that are used in medical care wherever possible, Professor Ahmed is involved in pioneering changes to clinical care through research and innovation as well as being at the forefront in delivering high quality clinical and surgical care.
Professor Ahmed has performed hundreds of MRI guided image-fusion transperineal biopsies and hundreds of HIFU therapies. He is the highest volume cryotherapy surgeon for prostate cancer in Europe and one of the highest volume cryotherapy surgeons internationally. He has led research showing the effectiveness of these techniques and continues to innovate.
He has taught dozens of international urologists in these procedures whilst also giving numerous invited lectures and being part of course faculty around the world in these areas.
He offers minimally invasive therapies for the effective treatment of benign enlarged prostates causing urinary symptoms.
Professor Ahmed has an active research portfolio in prostate disease and has published many of the key papers driving the change in the diagnostic and treatment pathway of prostate cancer.
Please contact us if you wish to have a consultation with Professor Ahmed.
Professor of Urology
Division of Surgery, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London
Chair of Urology
Imperial Urology, Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust
Honorary Consultant Urological Surgeon
Imperial Urology, Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust
Chair, Prostate Clinical Expert Group, NHS England
Chair, Prostate Clinical Studies Group, NCRI
Chair, Imperial Surgical Trials Forum
Imperial College Trials Unit, Imperial College London
- Prostate diagnosis using multi-parametric MRI and biomarkers
- Detection of prostate cancer using MRI and targeted/image-fusion biopsies
- Minimally invasive therapies HIFU and cryotherapy treatments
- Active surveillance of prostate cancer
- Treating benign symptomatic prostate enlargement (Greenlight laser vapourisation of the prostate, Rezum water vapour, Rezum steam therapy)
- Chair of Urology, Imperial Urology, Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust
- Director, Imperial Prostate
- Chair, NCRI Prostate CSG
- Chair, NHS England Prostate Clinical Expert Group
- European Urology, Editorial Board
- BJU Int., Consulting Editor in Imaging
Please contact us if you wish to have a consultation with Prostate Ahmed.
- FRCS (Urol) Royal College of Surgeons 2012
- PhD UCL (University College London) 2013
- BM, BCh Oxford University 2011
- MA(Hons) Oxford University 1998
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Trials London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine 2012
- Corporate America Today – Annual Awards – 2019 Prostate Specialist of the Year (UK)
- London Prostate Awarded GHP Private Sector Awards – Prostate Specialist of the Year 2019
- Winner – Health Service Journal Acute Sector Innovation 2018
- Research Medal to supervised Research Fellow, The Urology Foundation
- EAU and Fritz Schroder Foundation Award for Best Research Paper 2017-2018
- Health Services Journal Acute Innovation Award 2018, Shortlisted
- Nomination, UCLH Excellence Award 2016
- NIHR CREST Highly Commended Research 2016
- Winner, BMJ Innovation Award, 2015
- Winner, Health Services Journal Innovation Award, 2015
- Visiting Professor: UCLA
- Visiting Professor: Cornell
- Visiting Professor: Tokyo
- EAU 2009/2012
- All Parliamentary Group (Medical Research)
- Markowitz Prize (Outstanding Registrar)
- Charles Clark Memorial
- BAUS Oncology First
- First Prize St Thomas’s MRCS Course
- William Osler Prize (Oxford)
- Focal cryotherapy in treating prostate cancer
- Image fusion targeted biopsy is highly accurate
- Focal HIFU therapy in treatment of prostate cancer: a UK Multicentre series
- PROMIS Trial of MRI for Prostate Cancer Detection
- N Engl J Med. 2009;361(17):1704-6 . The index lesion and the origin of prostate cancer.
- Lancet Oncol. 2012;13(6):622-32 . Focal therapy for localised unifocal and multifocal prostate cancer: a prospective development study.
- Lancet Oncol. 2012;13(11):e509-17 . Do low-grade and low-volume prostate cancers bear the hallmarks of malignancy?
- Clinical Review. BMJ. 2013;346:f325 . Screening and treatment of localised prostate cancer